We are asking you to take part in 3 Days of Urgent Action this week!
We are following up on the letter and demands we all signed earlier this month regarding the urgent actions needed to support people experiencing homelessness in Toronto. Currently, the spiraling COVID outbreaks in multiple sites, the lack of isolation spaces, the oppressive eviction actions in encampments, the lack of critical housing and supports funding in the Provincial budget and so much more demand immediate attention. We held a powerful press event on March 11 to present these demands, however, the lack of dedicated responses to our demands has only worsened an already dire situation.
We are holding 3 days of targeted awareness and action, one day each for every level of government.
Tues March 30 – City of Toronto
Wed March 31 – Province of Ontario
Thur April 01 – Federal Government
Today we are telling John Tory and the City of Toronto: #WeDemandActionTO & #NoEncampmentEvictions! The crisis with COVID outbreaks and conditions in Toronto shelter spaces is critical -isolation spaces are full, positive clients are being sent back to shelters to try and isolate…and the looming forced eviction of encampment residents is unacceptable. See the demands of over 60 organizations in Toronto, representing countless frontline & healthcare workers, outreach and volunteer networks, faith groups and more. This City must act now!!!
These are featured speakers from Toronto Drop-in Network’s March 11th press event, presenting the different demands to the City:
HOW TO HELP:
Spread these demands and message, but also, our friends at the Encampment Support Network (ESN) have put out an urgent call to action (use this amazing tool kit here) regarding the April 6th eviction date the City of Toronto has posted for encampment residents. Please take part to protect our neighbours!!! Use #NoEncampmentEvictions
LET THEM KNOW!
Contact the below City officials and demand action!
1. Mayor John Tory, 416-397-2489, firstname.lastname@example.org, TW: @john_tory , TW: @CityofToronto
2. Gord Perks, Ward 4, Parkdale-High Park, 416-392-7919 , email@example.com, TW: @gordperks
3. Kristyn Wong-Tam: Ward 13, Toronto Centre, 416-392-7903 , firstname.lastname@example.org , TW: @kristynwongtam
4. Joe Cressy: Ward 10, Spadina-Fort York, Chair of Health Board, 416-392-4044 , email@example.com , TW: @joe_cressy
5. Mike Layton: Ward 11, University-Rosedale, 416-392-4009, firstname.lastname@example.org , TW: @m_layton
6. Contact Your Local Councillor (if not above)